April 2011

Another blog. About Portland. And other stuff too.

about | archives | twitter | flickr | potma | iphone snapshots | facebook | yelp
rss feed | youtube | links | the burning log


Questions? Comments? Reservations?
anotherportlandblog[at]gmail[dot]com

Another Portland Blog

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

 

Letter to the blogger

"M," an occasional commenter on the blog from way back, back when this blog had a comment system that actually #@!$!@#! worked, sent me an email about last week's New Times Post post. Here's what she had to say and my response follows....


Hey,

I just read your post about modern 20 (and 30?) somethings. I can't comment there, so I'm sending this... I have a few issues with points you make(and which I guess the NYT makes). I guess it boils down to: why do things have to happen like they used to? Was it better that way? The only thing I would argue that is needed now is job security and to not have the feeling that a college degree is useless. The rest should be up to the individual to desire. People opt out of marriage and kids for many, many more reasons than "I don't want to make a commitment" and
"they're expensive". It's more of a problem if you want a house and kids but feel you can't afford them, but I think people who really want those things will go ahead and manage somehow.

I am so happy I live in a time where I can be a single independent woman and not be a pariah, where I can pretty much make of my life what I want. It is a freedom. But while you acknowledge it, you don't seem comfortable with it. You say you're happier now, but from things you've said, you seem to still feel insecure with how things have turned out.

I don't think that not being married and not having kids means you are immature and stuck in a perpetual adolescence. Supporting yourself is pretty grown up. So people like me might use their disposable income on concerts and travel rather than a mortgage or raising kids, but I value
those things more anyway. Seeing the world is the way I try to get something out of my little life. And that's my choice, which I feel is great to have. If I did, say, value a career more, I think that would be open to me as well.

Reading what you wrote, and a bit of the NYT article, I wonder if the values and mindset here [FYI: M lives in Holland. -Ed] are just way removed from those in the US and it's become what I'm used to. I am used to women working and thinking about kids post-30 and then going back to work and not necessarily being married to the father. But people are free to do what they want and I think you are judged less here for not having those things. And also careers aren't such a big thing, unlike the US where a lot of who you are is bundled up in what you do and how successful you are. Fortunately, job security is less of an issue here, but people still change jobs often.

Why stay in one place your whole life? It sounds horrible, and this is coming from someone who really shouldn't talk when I've been at one job long enough to seem like a dinosaur in the company. Everywhere has issues with retirement funds though. In the NL they keep talking
about raising the retirement age. Ok, maybe I'm a bit immature there, I'm in a bit of a "it's far in the future, I'm not gonna worry about it" bubble and maybe I should be worried, but really, so much will change between now and then, that even if we fought for things now, it could all be (and likely will be) overturned by the time we actually retire. All the more reason to live now and not dream of doing all that stuff
later.

Anyway, apologies for vomiting this at you, but.... yeah.

-M

-----------------------------------------

M,

I think you're right about American values vs. European values. Despite my love of a "cosmopolitan lifestyle," there's still a nagging sense that I should be travelling down a more cliched path. Maybe it's the subtle messages from media or advertising or the occasional snarky jokes from my more conservative relatives. I consider myself fortunate to live in "America's Most European City," where we all have the option to linger around coffee shops and act snooty just like they do in Paris. Regardless, I'm sure that there's societal pressures that pester Europeans in the same age group as ours when it comes to settling down and raising a family.

Like you said though, things are changing, and for the better. It's becoming increasingly common, as the NYT article points out as well, for Americans to raise kids at a later age or forgo that whole thing entirely. You're not singled out entirely for not doing these things, like an indvidual might have been a generation or two prior. Women are no longer labeled "spinsters" for not getting hitched by the age of 22. We all have more options these days when it comes to these matters.

And, yeah, we have bigger fish to fry. Social security, job security, retirement security....uhhhhh, other securities that are slipping my mind right now. Every generation faces a crisis or two and I still prefer ours to, say, the Civil War or the Great Depression.


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home


SEARCH THIS BLOG? SURE, NO PROBLEMO, AS BART SIMPSON USED TO SAY....





www.flickr.com




-archives-

  • October 2003
  • November 2003
  • December 2003
  • January 2004
  • February 2004
  • March 2004
  • April 2004
  • May 2004
  • June 2004
  • July 2004
  • August 2004
  • September 2004
  • October 2004
  • November 2004
  • December 2004
  • January 2005
  • February 2005
  • March 2005
  • April 2005
  • May 2005
  • June 2005
  • July 2005
  • August 2005
  • September 2005
  • October 2005
  • November 2005
  • December 2005
  • January 2006
  • February 2006
  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • October 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • February 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • August 2010
  • September 2010
  • October 2010
  • November 2010
  • January 2011
  • February 2011
  • March 2011
  • April 2011

  • Clicky Web Analytics


    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?